Friday, April 12, 2002

Dynamist.com: The Scene (vpostrel.com)

How about that! I should have posted my letter to Ms. Postrel here and given her this site to link to. That shows how good I am at self-promotion.

I have been reading her book, The Future and Its Enemies and find it intriguing how many of my ideas, and those of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, about freedom, learning and eternal progression fit right in.

It's also ironic that "Mormons" are consider only backward and conservative, when many of our doctrines are quite dynamist, in Ms. Postrel's term. We believe that "Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come." (Doctrine & Covenants 130:18-19) Brigham Young taught that "The truth that is in all the arts and sciences forms a part of our religion all truth is a part of our religion."

It is true that there appear to be conflicts from time to time between religion and science, but my faith is that I should investigate and consider all arguments and claims and, if there is no apparent way to reconcile them with the gospel, keep my mind open and things will eventually be made clear. Many things that religion appears to claim may not be so, because of our own lack of understanding. The same applies to science. I don't know any other religion that would countenance such an attitude.

Maybe I will ultimately be disappointed, but I decided a long time ago that even if my beliefs aren't true, they are still a pretty good way to live. They teach hope, civility, kindness and acquisition of learning, and generally produce good people, although there are some who espouse them who don't live them perfectly. I don't either. That's why I haven't been transfigured.
Anyhow, thanks to Virginia Postrel for acknowledging my meager thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home