Monday, April 22, 2002

InstaPundit.Com: "MY FOXNEWS COLUMN TODAY calls Bush a Fair-Weather Federalist for his stance against cloning"

I'm having a hard time working up any enthusiasm for this fight. I think that therapeutic cloning is probably no more morally objectionable than organ transplants, but I expect that the research will continue anyway and, once it's a proven technology, nobody is going to stop it from being used.

Virginia Postrel advises in her book that we should handle this kind of thing with resiliency and a sense of humor. (OK, she actually said that's how dynamists should deal with new ideas and trends, but why not do the same when we see stasists acting foolishly?) The delays will probably result in lots of needless suffering, but that's nothing new.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, which is one of those things stem cell research might help, but I can't afford the deductible for the current genetically engineered treatment available now. So what good is another one going to do me? Besides, the wait for FDA approval will put any new treatments beyond my lifespan, so I'm trying to be resilient and handle it with a sense of humor. It could be worse. It could be ALS or Altzheimers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home