Wednesday, May 29, 2002

Mark Steyn pops the environmentalist balloon.

I'd like to be an "environmentalist," really I would. I spend quite a bit of my time in the environment and I'm rather fond of it. But these days "environmentalism" is mostly unrelated to the environment: It's a cult, and, like most cults, heavy on ostentatious displays of self-denial, perfectly encapsulated by the time-consuming rituals of "recycling," an activity of no discernible benefit other than as a communal profession of faith.


What is so dangerous about this cult is that it is endorsed by a national media who thinks religion is the opiate of the masses, but doesn't see all the elements of religion in this form of animism. They repeat environmentalist propaganda like a mantra and never question it. What they should do is run a comparison between the environmentalist movement and Scientology. Both file lawsuits at the drop of a hat. Both are based on junk science, even science fiction. Both make prodigious amounts of money and are strict about how they deal with defectors. I think it would be fascinating to do a complete study.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home