Tuesday, February 25, 2003

I know it's getting past my bedtime, but I swear I just heard Senator Durbin on Nightline denouncing the idea of assassinating Saddam, on the grounds that we all remember where we were when we heard that the leader of our nation had been assassinated. Note to Illinois Republican party: Get that video and mix it with scenes of the liberated Iraqis mobbing our troops like rockstars. USE IT!

That's all I saw, him in high dudgeon denouncing the very idea that we might assassinate a foreign "leader" as though he were on a par with even Jacques Chirac.

Then I switched to the Leno Show where Dennis Miller was holding forth. "We are simultaneously the most hated, feared, loved and admired nation on this planet. In short, we're Frank Sinatra, and he didn't get to be the chairman lying down for punks out in front of the Fontainbleu." A little later, "I used to be a liberal but look at California. It's no longer the Andreas Fault; it's Gray Davis's fault." Big applause.

After seeing that, I think the Democrats are in big trouble. Does Durbin seriously think that the Iraqis will mourn Saddam for a minute? They'd be singing Ding Dong the Witch is Dead in Arabic. Give them a chance, and he'd be down the Ceaucescu route. We don't have to assassinate him, we just have to catch him and make him walk down a main thoroughfare of Baghdad in handcuffs. I think we see how beloved of his people he is. Durbin--what a chump! All we need is to make sure they get the lesson from Iran as well that religions, especially Wahabism and the like, should not be trusted to govern nations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home