Friday, March 07, 2003

Howard Kurtz comments on the fall of columnist Bob Greene:
The story has a tragic ending. Greene's wife died recently. If there's a comeback trail for this once-popular columnist and TV commentator, he hasn't taken a step toward it.


It's hard to feel sorry for Bob Greene, since he behaved abominably and repeatedly used his column to cruise for chicks. But after reading this story, it's hard not to.

I believe in repentence and forgiveness. I notice that when I'm riding high and feeling good, I sometimes do or say things I'm ashamed of later on. It's sometimes secretly satisfying to see somebody get his, but when you've been through shame and sorrow, you start to feel a little less judgmental. Here are some more key points from Kurtz's article, the quotes are from an Esquire article by Bill Zehme:
"Why don't we just say I got what was coming to me and leave it at that," Greene says.

And: "I didn't admire myself."

And: "I've always been pretty good at standing up for other people. I'm no good at standing up for myself. I won't even try. I wouldn't go out on a limb for me."

Once he picked up the phone and it was Matt Lauer, trying to book him. Greene declined.

Here's what's interesting: Oprah Winfrey, who's had Greene on her show, expressed her condolences. Radio's Paul Harvey did the same. NBC's Bob Costas went to his house to watch the World Series over pizza. And George Herbert Walker Bush tried to get his home address (the Trib wouldn't give it out) and finally sent a note praising his handling of the press.

What, no letter from Clinton?

I'm sure Bill will be getting to him shortly, as soon as he sees that comment.

What Greene is going through is part of the process of repentance. I don't know if he has turned to the Lord, but if he feels as badly as it sounds, he needs to. We all do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home