Thursday, May 01, 2003

Dorothy Rabinowitz writes about the funerals of some of our fallen soldiers:
On April 14 in Vermont, for example, mourners gathered for the funeral of 21-year-old Marine Cpl. Mark Evnin, killed in action on the drive to Baghdad. A thousand people attended the rites at Ohavi Zedek Synagogue in Burlington, at which the Marine's grandfather, a rabbi, presided. Reporters related how the Marine Corps League color guard and local firefighters flanked the walkway into the synagogue, where mourners included the Roman Catholic bishop and the governor.

Crowds lined the streets in salute--some with flags, some with signs--everywhere the funeral procession passed. But what struck the Burlington Free Press reporters most were all the strangers who had been impelled to come to the cemetery to honor the young Marine. One of them was a mother who had brought her two young children and stood holding two American flags. "Every single man and woman out there is my son and daughter," she told the journalists. "He could have done a lot with his life. But he gave it to the nation."
I've thought a lot about how it must feel to have spent so many years raising a child only to have him/her snatched away like this. I don't know how I'd handle it. I think of all the ways that it's possible, including drug addiction or other wastes of one's life. I think of my life. What have I really accomplished that is as honorable as fighting for my country?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home