Monday, November 10, 2003

This link is to an Op-Ed in the L A Times by David Gelernter. The only thing that explains why the L A Times would publish it is its histrionic language, "It was my fault, mine personally; I was part of the antiwar crowd and I'm sorry. But my apology is too late for the South Vietnamese dead. All I can do is join the chorus in shouting, "No more Vietnams!" No more shrugging off tyranny; no more deserting our friends; no more going back on our duties as the strongest nation on Earth."

I was alive back then too, and I'm haunted to some extent by Vietnam, too, not because I demonstrated against it--I never thought I knew enough to want to substitute my judgment for the President's--but because I didn't enlist. The only comfort I have for that feeling that someone else served in my place is that I wouldn't have pass the physical. I doesn't make me feel less indebted to all of those men and women in my generation or others past and present who have put their own lives on the line, to fight for freedom. I don't know if America's freedom and prosperity today is directly linked to the war in Vietnam, but it certainly is to the winning of the Cold War, of which Vietnam was a part. I'm a beneficiary of the struggle to preserve and expand democracy and freedom, which often has been misrepresented by those who feel guilt for all their blessings. I know it and I bow my head at times like this, to honor all the real heroes of the past 227 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home