Friday, January 02, 2004

I think I have a little more respect for Michael Crichton:
And here, I am not so pleased with the impact of science. Rather than serving as a cleansing force, science has in some instances been seduced by the more ancient lures of politics and publicity. Some of the demons that haunt our world in recent years are invented by scientists. The world has not benefited from permitting these demons to escape free.
I haven't read the whole thing, but this quotation is certainly right when it comes to global warming, which serves the purposes of environmentalists who probably don't even recognize their own motivations. It may come to pass that they are right about humankind destroying the world, although I doubt it, but if saving it means the loss of human freedom, I don't think it will be worth the cost. We have come so far down the path of technology that there is no going back without immense suffering and death. We cannot undo the Industrial Revolution if we wanted to, and only a tiny minority want to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home