Saturday, February 28, 2004

The Anti-Passion Passion

I've seen and read more blather over Mel Gibson's movie than there was hype over The Cat in the Hat. I don't intend to go see the film, but not because I disapprove of Gibson's motives nor because I think any of his critics have made any useful points against it. The oddest complaint is that it isn't accurate history. Yeah, not like all those other biblical epics that have come out of Hollywood.

I don't really mind that it's supposed to be violent. How could an accurate depiction of crucifixion be otherwise? Just reading historical accounts is enough to weaken one's stomach.

And, as for its supposed anti-semitism, it seems to be based more on anti-Gibson propaganda than anything in the New Testament. Jesus was a Jew and his disciples were nearly all Jews. His apostles certainly were all Jews. Peter received a special revelation to convince him that the gospel was for gentiles as well as the Jews.

The reason I don't plan on seeing this film is that I don't believe that any film, no matter how violent and graphic, can accurately depict the Atonement. It is more important for us to know and obey his teachings than to try to portray the infinity of pain he suffered. I'm not sure anyone but he can understand that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home