Thursday, March 18, 2004

Saving marriage?

Donald Sensing makes an argument I considered some time ago, that marriage has already been so devalued by heterosexual society that gays couldn't do it any more harm. I rejected that because I foresee the day when courts, having ruled that same-sex marriage is a constitutional right, will deny churches which refuse to perform such marriages the legal right to perform any marriages.

I don't agree with Sensing's claim that marriage is primarily social institution rather than a religious one, because I believe the Biblical account that God instituted marriage between Adam and Eve. I don't see how he draws from that account the view that marriage is prehistoric. However, I agree with his conclusion:
If society has abandoned regulating heterosexual conduct of men and women, what right does it have to regulate homosexual conduct, including the regulation of their legal and property relationship with one another to mirror exactly that of hetero, married couples?

I believe that this state of affairs is contrary to the will of God. But traditionalists, especially Christian traditionalists (in whose ranks I include myself) need to get a clue about what has really been going on and face the fact that same-sex marriage, if it comes about, will not cause the degeneration of the institution of marriage; it is the result of it.
I would argue that society still has an interest in promoting stable families and that the function of procreating and raising children with love and nurture is one that no other institution will ever be able to furnish. The problem is that our popular culture has become intolerant of that argument and will test it with disastrous results. When this society has destroyed itself, a minority will survive because that minority has preserved marriage and family as fundamental values, but the time from now to then is likely to be one of great trial for those who cling to them in the face of attack by the rest of society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home