Friday, April 16, 2004

Tell Hollywood that the customer is always right.

Apparently a lot of film directors can't decide whether they're businessmen or artists.

Walmart has announced that it will market a DVD player that allows users to skip the profanity, sexual content and excessive violence in the movies they watch at home.

Of course, the Directors Guild of America is opposed to it and says it violates their rights as artists. They don't discuss the fact that they regularly release versions of films for showing on airliners or broadcast TV, which essentially do the same thing. Why wouldn't they want to market those versions to people who don't want to bring dreck into their homes?

This attitude is what convinces people that these people are bent on lowering the moral standards of the nation. I decided some time ago that I should be selecting entertainment that doesn't just condition me to language and visual images that are below the standards I want to live by, but affirmatively inspires me and elevates me spiritually. I haven't always lived up to that standard, but it's a good standard to aspire to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home