Wednesday, May 26, 2004

I second Glenn's recommendation

Read Catherine Seipp's latest. It's about war movies and how Hollywood sees war these days. Lionel Chetwynd, the producer of the A&E movie Ike: Countdown to D-Day is a Hollywood conservative, like Tom Selleck who stars.

I recently bought this edition of Clausewitz' book On War. I was disappointed to read in the introduction that most of the material on actual strategy and tactics had been taken out and that this volume focused mainly on Clausewitz' philosophy of war. As I read the editor's introduction written in 1969, I got the feeling that the editor, Anatol Rapoport, had a contempt for Clausewitz' ideas about war. He seems to gain enthusiasm when he reaches a discussion of "peace research." I haven't finished it, but it struck me that it this is the kind of thinking that has infected our system of higher education and the left in this country. War is seen as a failure of diplomacy and of the failure to understand its causes sufficiently. It seems to suggest that, if we just had taken more time, we might have figured out how to resolve the terrorist problem peaceably.

Mr. Chetwynd recounts his acquaintance with a veteran of the assault on "Dieppe, a bloody but necessary dress rehearsal to D-Day that established the futility of invading a fortified European port."

Although they knew it was basically a suicide mission, not one man failed to report for duty. Chetwynd asked one of the old soldiers in his regiment, Sgt. Gordon Betts, why.

"My generation had to figure out what we were ready to die for," Chetwynd recalled Betts telling him. "You kids don't even know what to live for."


Chetwynd describes other encounters with people in Hollywood who had internalized the "war is never right" philosophy. They seem jarring to conservatives because most conservatives believe what our founding fathers wrote about liberty, patriotism and the blood of patriots. The left sees those ideas as abhorrent and evil. They see themselves as elite patriots trying to save the country from itself. As Hugh Hewitt frequently points out, they're going to get us killed.

Update: Cathy's blog
has this little ditty:
My teacher's always putting them down
Down...Down...
He says they come from the wrong side of town
He told me they are bad
But I see they just make him mad
That's why I like being
A reader of the blogs.

He keeps saying my opinions are wrong
Wrong...Wrong...
Because I won't sing that PLO song
I send him 300 websites and pretty soon
His face turns a really weird shade of maroon
He just won't become
A reader of the blogs.

He feels so helpless, 'cause he won't get a clue
Instead he brings up the UN and EU
At school they all stop and stare
I can't hide my laughter, but I don't care
I'll never stop being
A reader of the blogs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home