Wednesday, May 19, 2004

The interrogation-torture continuum

Apparently, the ineffectuality of torture is not as clear cut as we assume, and when you're concerned about stopping murders of multiple civilians as in the suicide bombings in Karbala or an ambush of U.S. troops, it's not so plain that suffering of a few persons outweighs the murder and injuries of others. In the words of George C. Scott portraying Patton said, "When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friends face, you'll know what to do." That urge increases as a prisoner defies interrogators and pushes their buttons, I imagine.

I suppose that's why interrogators need training and carefully thought out guidelines and limits. The Abu Ghraib photos don't depict anything that would "soften up" prisoners for interrogation, if you ask me. If these prisoners were truly the bloodthirsty terrorists they'e supposed to be, I don't really think they would respond to humiliation, but what do I know? I suppose that to some extent it's a matter of personality and how an interrogator interacts with other people.

Chief Wiggles has a humane approach. So would I. I'd be laughable as the bad cop, or trying to act like Scipowitz.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home