Thursday, June 10, 2004

Dutch

I watched the Reagan retrospective on the History Channel this evening. The most telling detail about his character/personality to me was Patti Davis' describing his reaction when she told him she was getting her first bra. It sounded to me like he was embarrassed. Tonight, I saw a photo on Fox of Reagan and Clinton, with Clinton's head back in a big laugh. I wondered what Reagan's reaction to the Monica scandal would have been. He never took off his suit jacket in the Oval Office, because he felt that it wouldn't be respectful.

Reagan was a man from a different era, like Walt Disney, when love was courtship, sweet notes and canoe rides, patriotism was sincere, and "keister" was about as rough as language got in mixed company. He was corny, from the red states and he knew what he wanted to do and did it. George W. Bush has a lot of Reagan about him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home