Saturday, December 18, 2004

Religion and Advertising

NBC and CBS have refused to allow the United Church of Christ to buy ad time on their networks. I've seen the ad. It's innocuous, and curiously frank in comparing the church to a nightclub in which there are no bouncers. I'm sure that is meant as a criticism of churches that have standards for membership, but it reminds me that Christ taught that he will judge the world and that his invitation to come to him includes the major condition of repentance:
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home