Friday, January 07, 2005

So dead people voting is OK?

From The Seattle Times:
"I know by the law it wasn't right, but it felt right in my heart," he said. "I wasn't trying to defraud anybody. I was just going with my wife's last wishes."
Is that the standard now--"It felt right in my heart"?

What was that Senator Boxer emoted yesterday?
Every citizen of this country who is registered to vote should be guaranteed that their vote matters, that their vote is counted, and that in the voting booth of their community, their vote has as much weight as the vote of any Senator, any Congressperson, any President, any cabinet member, or any CEO of any Fortune 500 Corporation.
Technically, it does leave room for allowing their votes to count even when they're forged after the voter dies, but allowing citizens to vote for other people who are dead seems hardly likely to make sure that everyone's vote counts as much as every Senator's. In fact, I would argue that the kind of block voting that Democrats rely on, whereby black and union groups are expected to vote based only on what somebody like "Kingfish" Al Sharpton or a union boss tells them to think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home