Thursday, March 24, 2005

Enough with the sympathetic calls for killing her.

Reading comments here and here, it occurs to me that if the proponents of cutting off her food and water are correct that she's brain dead, it makes no sense to refer to her "misery," "indignity," or "pain and suffering." As ghoulish as it appears to some to keep her breathing and fed, if her parents pay for it I see no reason not to let them. There's no way any of us can ever know what, if anything, is going on in her skull. The only real objection to maintaining her seems to me to be that it's inefficient and wasteful of resources, but then you could say that about watching TV, drinking beer, or a host of other things.

If you don't believe she is still alive, you can't logically feel sorry for her, since she has no more consciousness than a fly. You can't even say what you'd want if you were in her position, because if you were, you'd be brain dead. If she has a spirit, as I believe she does, I doubt that it is still in her body. If I were her parent, I'd have let her go along time ago and comforted myself with the faith and hope that she is now more free and happy that she was after her brain injury. I'm not willing to impose that on her parents, however. Maybe the correct decision is to allow anyone willing to pay her keep to keep her breathing. This Florida judge may think he rendered a Solomonic decision, but all he's really done is cut the baby in half, regardless of who its real mother is.

As Hugh Hewitt points out, we give federal protection to all kinds of "endangered" creatures. Why does she or her parents deserve any less?

One other thing that I'm noticing is how bitchy doctors can be about each other, sneering at credentials and dismissing their opinions.

Update: Michael Schiavo's attorney earns the Tin-Ear award for his remark about how beautifulTerri looks as her life ebbs away. I've never seen a beautiful corpse. They always look like a bad attempt at sculpture.

She might have preferred this, but the proof of that is pretty skimpy. That's what makes it such a hard case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home