Thursday, April 28, 2005

Sauce for the Goose

It just occurred to me that If the Democrats' logic for disqualifying John Bolton is correct, it should also disqualify Hillary! from serving as president. Remember the stories of her screaming and throwing things at Bill? They don't seem to care whether Bolton had a good reason for getting angry or tough or rude, only that he did on a few occasions over the years.

This is the Clarence Thomas hearings but with less evidence against the nominee.

Joseph Epstein (requires subscription) points out the benefits of having a reputation as a pit bull:
If I could begin my life again I should like to arrange things so that the word got out that I am a fairly decent fellow, not entirely charmless, but with a mean streak that, wrongly provoked, has been known to run to violence. "I know a guy," I shouldn't at all mind having it reported of me, "who once saw Joseph Epstein so angry he strangled a bulldog."

Without in the least wishing it, John R. Bolton, the undersecretary of state who is President Bush's nominee for ambassador to the United Nations, has acquired, without going to the trouble of strangling that bulldog, the reputation I so desire.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan was hard to get along with when he was our U.N. Ambassador, and I remember Adlai Stevenson demanding an answer from the Soviet Ambassador saying he was prepared to wait until Hell freezes over.

The Democrats seem to want a milquetoast so that we won't estrange ourselves from the international community. Maybe they would prefer John Kerry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home