Monday, August 29, 2005

Conservatives and the ACLU

Glenn Reynolds has worked for, and will probably again work for, the ACLU. I can see why he would, given a particular case that he agrees with.

I don't think I could. I think that the ACLU and the host of imitators on the left, right and middle are bad for democracy. I think they have been instrumental in the courts' intervening in policy matters to a degree that they can almost always be persuaded that some groups civil rights are denied if their actions are illegal. I guess this is why Glenn doesn't endorse John Roberts. I find it ironic though, that libertarians would support using courts to change laws they don't like. It's definitely easier to persuade five senior citizens than a majority of Congress or some state legislature. The courts don't care about voters' opinions, or the way that their expansion of constitutional rights for some changes all our lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home