Friday, August 19, 2005

Recipe for democracy.

Austin Bay reviews First Democracy: The Challenge of an Ancient Idea by Paul Woodruff, which is based on the proposition that controversy and danger are innate characteristics of democracy. He lists seven ideas that democracy "tries to express" whatever that means:
-- freedom from tyranny;

-- "harmony";

-- the rule of law;

-- natural equality;

-- citizen wisdom;

-- "reasoning without knowledge";

-- general education.
I have some of my own, but I'd like to compare them with Woodruff's.

I've thought about what it will take for the Iraqis to succeed with a democracy, and this book sounds like something I should read. Now if I could get on one of those book review gigs where they send you free copies, like Glenn Reynolds has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home