Thursday, August 11, 2005

What's My Line

James Lileks had a piece in the latest AEI magazine about the old game show, which is now being shown via kinescopes on the Game Show Network late at night. I watched this show live when I was a child, so I tuned in for a little nostalgia. These early game shows were based on party games such as 20 questions, charades, et al. This show's charm is a form of 20 questions with some personable, classy and charming panelists. As a little kid in Utah, Iowa and possibly Illinois, I now realize, this program taught me a lot about manners, urbanity, intelligence and pleasantry.

The panelists were from the arts, theatre and publishing. They understood that they were being invited into people's homes and they behaved that way. No bleeps. No profanity or vulgarity. Everyone is called by Miss or Mr. and as Lileks noted, the men stand to shake hands goodbye to the guests and fellow panelists.

Watching them now makes me realize how far our entertainment, including the quality of our celebrities, has sunk.

Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home