Monday, August 22, 2005

Woodstock at Crawford

I've had a feeling that a lot of the left wing rage against Bush was driven by memories of being activists in 60s and 70s. I kept seeing people as old-looking as me at rallies and demonstrations, spouting off with irrantional rants, trying to relive their youth. This seems to be going on down at Cindy Sheehan's mob scene in Crawford, Texas, complete with old protest singers. I've seen gray haired, middle-aged women protesting by shedding their clothes, not realizing that they weren't the nubile sylphs they were at 20, and bald men with pony-tails. And I thought I was pathetic. These are the people who felt so empowered back then by participating in pointless activities like demonstrations and seeing them covered on TV. What they forget, as Ann Althouse points out, that they lost elections back then, too. And they still can't understand and become angry and annoying, just like in the good old days.

Norm Geras pops their balloon, by reminding us that the people we were fighting and are fighting today were the kind who put their own people in prison camps, and tortured or murdered millions of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home