Friday, December 09, 2005

Racist Ipsa Loquitur

I'm usually a little cautious about cases that sound as outrageous and blatantly illegal as this, just as I'm a little cautious about the Al Arian acquittals being unjustified. Maybe it's because of Terri Schiavo, which at first looked like a helpless woman being killed after her money ran out. I've also represented people who looked plainly guilty and then found that, while my client was probably guilty 99% of the time when accused of something, he/she was innocent on this one. I learned the hard way about why we need the presumption of innocence, and from appearances right now, Mr. Maye wasn't given much of that.

This Maye case could be what it looks like, a thinly veiled "due process" lynching, or there may be something we haven't heard yet. But if the facts are as Radley Balko states them, Mississippis hasn't made as much progress as we have been led to believe. This looks like a case of "when a black man shoots a white man, the thing speaks for itself," racist ipsa loquitur. And why this hasn't been a cause celebre long before this, I can't figure out. I think that Balko's reporting will certainly get some attention though, especially with Glenn Reynolds asking questions too.

I'm not a libertarian on illegal drugs, but I don't trust cases built on "traces" of drugs especially when they're based on illegal searches and CYA charges filed after the cops have totally messed up.

And where's Bob Dylan when someone needs him?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home