Friday, May 05, 2006

Kennedy didn't crash. His car did.

Is there something odd about this headline? Is he denying that he was driving? Did the car crash by itself?

His promise that he will fully cooperate with the authorities is amazing in its disingenuosness, having been made after a breath test would no longer yield any evidence. If he was drunk, would he admit it? Come on.

Now he's claiming he was impaired by prescription drugs. I'd like to know where he had been until 2:00 a.m., what the drugs were and when he took them and what he was doing out driving around in the middle of the night.

I can hear him at AA: "My name is Patrick, and I'm a Kennedy."

Update: He had been at a bar called The Hawk and the Dove drinking. According to The Smoking Gun, the cops thought he was impaired because he was unsteady on his feet, his speech was slightly slurred and his eyes were "red and watery." He says that he had taken Ambien and Phenergan.

I take Ambien, but I don't drink. I sort my meds into AM and PM bottles. Last year I took the wrong pills when I woke up an went to work, and bumped into another car at a stop sign. I didn't see any damage, but the other driver called the cops and they came to my office and field tested me. I had mistakenly taken an Ambien in the a.m. and I could definitely see the impairment in my balance, coordinaton and ability to follow instructions. I wondered if this was what it was like to be drunk. Since then, I don't put Ambien in with any other pills. I've had two incidents where it affected my awareness the day following its use, including memory loss. I don't know how alcohol would add to these effects, but I can't imagine that it would be good. Anybody who drinks after taking Ambien and then drives is defintitely a danger to other drivers and pedestrians.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home