Wednesday, June 02, 2010

I don't listen to the radio anymore. I guess I'm too old, or I just hate most of the current pop. But music has always been important to me and I keep hearing music in commercials that I really like.

I'm not alone. I discovered Adtunes.com, where I discovered:

We Are the People by Empire of the Sun

Half Acre by Hem

Under the Milky Way Tonight by Sia

Major Tom (Coming Home) by Shiny Toy Guns (Lincoln)

Falling in love at a Coffee Shop by Landon Pigg

Li'l King Kong by Simple Kid (Saturn, sigh)

New Soul by Yael Nim (iTunes)

Pink Moon by Nick Drake

It's All Right Here by Renee Stahl (Overstock.com), who really reminds me a lot of one of my favorite singer/songwriters Karla Bonoff. I just wish she hadn't made this song exclusive to iTunes, since I subscribe to Rhapsody, where I'll purchase the rest of her songs because I can copy them to CD and play in my car.

There's also a cover of A Space Oddity ("Ground control to Major Tom . . .") by Cat Power from a Lincoln ad, although it apparently wasn't an entire track and hasn't been released for purchase.

There are more, but I didn't realize how many there were until I started checking. Now I'm surfing Adtunes to find new music. And YouTube is a place to hear the music before you buy, as is Rhapsody. A lot of the tracks I'm discovering have been around for decades (We can be Heroes by David Bowie), but I wasn't into that kind of music when it was popular. Now that we can buy music by the track, the world has opened up like when Dorothy stepped out of the house into Oz in the movie.

Update: I've also discovered ilike.com, which has rankings of fastest spreading tracks. How would I ever have heard Uprising by Muse, otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home