Monday, June 07, 2010

"I'll get you, my pretty!"

I found it interesting that Helen Thomas' antisemitism was well known among her colleagues in the press, but we seldom heard about it, unlike, say, Pat Buchanan's. Charles Krauthammer protested her forced retirement on the grounds of freedom of speech, but I don't really see that. The whole point of freedom of speech is that you get to say whatever you like without being punished by government, but it doesn't mean that people have to continue to associate with you. I do admire Krauthammer's principles, though.

I just think that conservatives have been excoriated and made the targets of hate campaigns and charges of hate speech so often, that it's hard not to enjoy seeing a prominent liberal who has been a notorious anti-semite get caught in her own nets. Her claim that her statement didn't reflect her true feelings is just too much for people who know her. Otherwise, I think she'd have been defended by her fellow reporters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home