Friday, November 05, 2010

Keith Olbermann has been suspended for undisclosed legal donations to three Democratic candidates. Conservatives I've heard, including Bill Kristol, at the link, have criticized the suspension. There are reports that he isn't wanted back.

Here's what Kristol has to say:
First, he donated money to candidates he liked. He didn’t take money, or favors, in a way that influenced his reporting.

Second, he’s not a reporter. It’s an opinion show. If Olbermann wants to put his money where his mouth is, more power to him.

Third, GE, the corporate parent of MSNBC, gives money to political organizations. GE executives and, I’m sure, NBC executives give money. Why can’t Olbermann?
All good points. I never watch Olbermann's show, but I've seen clips and I've seen him on NBC's Football Night in America, and I find him insufferable. I would never have hired him in the first place, let alone for a reported 4 year, $30 million contract. (Link has been changed.) This really looks like a pretext. The first report I read at MediaBistro.com stated that he had signed a four year $30 million contract extension in 2008, but that detail no longer appears in the story. (It is, however, quoted at HotAir.)

Note also that he's suspended without pay. Maybe the tanking ratings just demanded cost cutting. I'd like to see his contract compared to Chris Matthews and the other hosts at MSNBC.

I expect a lawsuit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home