Wednesday, December 08, 2010

I just downloaded Get Lucky the latest CD from Mark Knopler. (It came out in September 2009. Why doesn't anybody tell me these things?!) As usual it has one or two real lively cuts and the rest are more contemplative, poetic. This album, like Sailing to Philadelphia is full of references to his Scots and Northeastern England upbringing, and full of haunting reminiscences set to his smooth guitar stylings, although several sounds distinctly American, like The Car Was The One. The first track Border Reiver is definitely Celtic even if it's about a train with an Albion locomotive, (Sure as the sunrise, that's what they say about the Albion.)

I guess it has something to do with the fact that he and I were born a year and a half apart, so I'm always just the age to appreciate his latest work. Besides, I've always loved Celtic music and this album sounds very Celtic. It's certainly a treat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home