Wednesday, March 13, 2002

Philadelphia Daily News | 03/12/2002 | 'Fighting Whities' make a statement

A more apt analysis is pro-wrestling. Most of these guys are white, but they aren't the kind who wear ties and business suits.
It's the crazy savages that turn people on. If our collective memory of indians was that of a bunch of peaceful farmers or hunter gatherers, they wouldn't be used as mascots.

How many teams are called the Navahos or the Hopi? These evoke images of shepherds and old women weaving rugs, not fighters. Maybe this stunt is to try to change our image of indians from fierce, wild warriors to hippies demonstrating for political correctness. If I were Native American (I am, but not in the PC sense), I'd prefer Crazy Horse to the rugweavers as my symbol. I suspect most NA's would too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home