Monday, September 16, 2002

I've been rereading the Lord of the Rings, by listening to the unabridged recorded reading by Rob Inglis. Hearing it read aloud reminds me of what I imagine listening to the old Sagas must have been like. I'm more aware of the linquistic roots of Tolkien's names and geography. It gives the whole story a new perspective, an ancientness that was there in the text but is now felt in one's bones. The baritone English accents Inglis adds to the dialogs brings the characters alive. The film was impressive, and I love it, but it can't compete with the text itself.

I notice a spiritual swelling as I hear the brave words and deeds of Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn and the rest. Why? I suppose that it's a response to what I was taught is truth, the truth that evil triumphs when good men do nothing, the truth that it is better to die in a noble cause than to live in shame, the truth that courage sometimes creates miracles, the truth that by small and weak things great things can be brought to pass, and the truth that some of the most noble acts are simple.

I find myself loving Gandalf for his wisdom and decisiveness, Aragorn for his nobility, and Frodo and Sam for their simple goodness and willingness to sacrifice themselves, walking into the mouth of hell for the sake of defeating evil and saving others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home