Friday, August 22, 2003

James Lileks is subbing for Hugh Hewitt today on his radio show. James sounds like he spent last evening screaming at a football game. Maybe it's the mike or the internet link, but you wouldn't think he would sound better over the phone, but he does.

Salem radio is broadcasting live from the Minnesota State Fair to promote its Minneapolis affiliate. The only state fairs worthy of the name are in the Midwest. Every other state has them, but they are really agricultural events, celebrating farming. California has farms, but I picture them as corporate outfits who produce peachs bread to break your teeth and tomatoes that make wax fruit sound sweet and juicy. I'm probably incorrect, but I used to live in Iowa, and then Illinois, and I can't imagine any state outside the Midwest even having a real fair, which is an event where the main events are cattle judging and all the stuff that the 4-H Clubs and Future Farmers sponsor, the vegetable shows and bake-offs, the best preserves and pies.

Lileks picked all the bumper music, and I must say I'm surprised at his tastes. I expected esotericism and eclecticism, but rockabilly? Brian Setzer? I guess I've missed more of life than I thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home