Monday, January 05, 2004

Is Prof. Volokh assaulting a straw man?

As far as I'm concerned he is, but he probably does have a lot of correspondents who makes the points he dismisses. I would hope they aren't lawyers, though. As far as I'm concerned, the courts in the past 50 years have expanded the First Amendment beyond what it should be. That's why I'm a conservative, not a libertarian. I think, as he notes, that Congress does have the power to prohibit loudspeakers in D. C. residential neighborhood, but I also believe that local governments have the right to prohibit vagrancy and offensive demonstrations like flag burnings and attacking other peoples' religion when they're trying to celebrate a wedding, or desecrating religious garments. These are presently being denied to residents of Salt Lake City and its visitors. And they wonder why downtown Salt Lake is losing businesses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home