Thursday, March 04, 2004

The War Base

I would be supporting Bush no matter who the Democrats nominated. I'm a conservative, not a libertarian. I'm registered independent because I didn't want to associate myself with some of the nuttier right wing around here.

I recognize that a lot of people who support this war find themselves feeling sheepish at supporting a (eew!) Republican, so they're looking for reasons to get back where they feel comfortable with their liberal friends and associates. Then there are conservatives and libertarians who mirror the angry left. Neither of them understand how politics works and right now with all the blaming going around it's easy to find things wrong with Bush.

I think that the major thing Bush has to get across is that we're still at war and that we can't count on al Qaeda and similar groups to roll over and die. Iraq was a strategic choice and it turned out to be a cakewalk with no cake at the end, but none of us should think that this is all there is. Look at the suicide bomber attacks yesterday in Baghdad. Frankly I'm amazed that we haven't had any of those here. We shouldn't get complacent.

The really tough parts of this war are still ahead. .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home