Friday, October 15, 2004

Last word on Kerry's medals

This post by Tom Maquire reminded me. Last week after a family funeral we were looking at a book of photos and clippings my mother had. There was a newspaper article about her older brother who was a captain in the Army (at the time of the article he was a major), taken captive at Corregidor and survived four years at Cabanatuan. When he got home he received a Silver Star and a Bronze Star.

I don't expect everybody who serves to be a hero, but putting Kerry's exploits up against against this standard, I would have thought he'd be embarrassed to bring them up at all. And it isn't an answer to talk about Bush "avoiding service"--Bush never claimed to be a war hero.

Note: My uncle was Warren Starr, presumably the same one mentioned in this history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home