Monday, April 04, 2005

Interlekchurals

I just heard a columnist for the Utah State University student newspaper claiming that conservatives are attacking intellectualism. He argument seems to be that Republicans nominated a man who can't even pronouse "nuclear." It always bothers me when someone mispronounces that word, but I hear it said "nucular" all the time from both the left, the right and the apoliticial. I hear journalists say it a lot, and even scientists.

I don't know what analogy in English leads to that mispronunciation. Unless it's sneak and snuck, which is also wrong but widely used nevertheless. In any event, most intellectuals these days believe in descriptivism in language rather than prescriptivism.

I think this guy is full of hatred and his hurtful, wounding remarks about President Bush are insensitive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home