Friday, August 12, 2005

Just another Bush hater

About Cindy Sheehan, I sympathize with her loss, but I wonder how much she respects her son's decision to serve his country. She seems to have focused on her bitterness and has given herself over to anger. If her wishes were granted and we withdrew from Iraq forthwith, I would wonder what his life was given for. If it were my son, I would want to make darn sure that we stayed the course and built a free nation where there was only a brutal dictatorship before.

It strikes me as pathetic that she is allowing her pain to be exploited by anti-Bush and anti-war groups. Grief transformed to angry activism and political rancor is cheapened and starts to resemble egoism and an unattractive conceit. All her anger and becoming an anti-war celebrity will not make it any better.

Other mothers are showing how to handle it more constructively. The left seem to have become solely anger-based these days. They're becoming toxic, and they don't seem to realize how it comes across.

Update: The more I read and hear about Sheehan, the less sympathy I have for her. She is using her son's death so cynically, and adopting the MoveOn.org blarney so recklessly that her son is probably ashamed of her. She sees herself as King Lear but she's become Crazy Mary instead, and the left is making her crazier. Her grief has become just more banal anger that Bush is President.

Update: James Taranto has a thorough round-up, including a post from Iraq the Model. It's pretty sad. Makes you want to avert your eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home