Tuesday, August 02, 2005

A needed corrective

Last week I was treated to the vision of a pair of nubile young silly girls in church showing off a two-inch swath of midriff over a short denim shirt or low-rise jeans and a shorter teeshirt with a saucy message on the front. After thanking heaven that I never had a daughter, I wondered where this would end.

Maybe hope is here in the form of a new expression, muffin top, referring to the way the skin comes over the top of the jeans or skirt. This has been a staple of red-neck wear for a long time, along with the butt-cleavage exposure when large men stoop or bend down. When I was in high school, I used to think that girls weren't aware of how their immodest attire affected boys in the throes of adolescence. Now, I know better. They know, but sometimes they don't quite understand the nature of the interest they arouse. Increasingly, though, they do understand and like the feeling of strutting on the brink of sin. What they don't get is that despite what these styles cost, they will always look cheap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home