Thursday, September 29, 2005

Someone finally refuses Microsoft's "offer they can't refuse."

I hope this is a harbinger of the end of Microsoft's monopoly. I think that people are starting to recognize that getting a commercial OS bundled with a new computer is not a determinative reason to use that OS. I started with a variant of CP/M, on which MS-Dos was based. I learned to run computers from the command line prompt. I was never that impressed by the idea of a GUI, because it means constantly having to switch from the keyboard to the mouse and back again.

If the author of CP/M had gotten his way, the OS would have been opensourced from the outset of personal computing and MS would still be one of a group of pretty good software vendors, instead of the 21st Century version of Standard Oil. People worry about standards, but the initiatives described in the article are

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home