Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Together, America can do better!

Some years ago, Utah adopted a marketing slogan, "Utah. A pretty, great state." The English majors got it, but nobody else did. Then they adopted "The greatest snow on earth," and got sued by Ringling Brothers/Barnum and Bailey Circus. They won in the end, but didn't somebody think about asking first?

I was put in mind of all this by Harry Shearer's comment on the Democrats' new slogan, borrowed from John Kerry. Suddenly, the coming elections don't seem so bleak. How about Harry Reid's suggestion, "By the time the election rolls around, people are going to know where Democrats stand." That certainly takes a stand.

I'm not all that good of a Republican, I guess. I don't really care about illegal aliens, unless they're here to blow up things. I figure keeping it all to ourselves is not what America is all about. All the xenophobia really makes me uncomfortable. If we really want to shut the gate after all this time, we ought to at least remove the plaque from the Statue of Liberty. I've always thought that freedom, rights and democracy should be our biggest export.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home