Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Icarus Factor

(I seem to have "wings" on my mind.)

I have mixed feelings about Bill Hobbs' losing his job. I went to BYU which is owned and operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If a BYU employee gained notariety by blogging a cartoon with the title "Mohammed Blows!" he'd probably be disciplined, but not fired. But if he became high profile and got bad press for the school, they'd probably can him.

I guess that's the price we have to be willing to pay for free speech. Tom Paine wasn't treated with kid gloves either.

But I've never read anything by Hobbs that made me think less of him, however, and for a rival who works for old media to attack him seems pretty CS. Without more from the university where he worked and from Hobbs himself, however. I find myself without enough information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home