Tuesday, August 01, 2006

First and last comment on Mel Gibson

I don't care what Mel Gibson said to the cops or whether he's anti-semitic or not. He's just an actor who is excessively rich, and his personal life and addictions are uninteresting to me. I feel the same way about O.J. Simpson and Bill Clinton, although I think they both got away with stuff that Mr. Gibson would be pilloried for, and neither has shown the slightest shame or sincere repentance for what they've done. They just deny. Patrick Kennedy, if his efforts at recovering from his dependencies were real, deserves to be given a chance, although I'd never vote for anyone who had shown such lack of judgment. I don't vote for people who commit adultery otherwise engage in vice. They are supposed to be leaders, and are thus subject to a higher standard of conduct than somebody from Hollywood. Those who demean George Bush as though he had never overcome his previous irresponsible behavior, yet give a pass to the Kennedies and Bill Clinton are hypocrites. I won't even consider voting for Newt Gingrich, and I think Dick Morris deserves his first name. It requires a showing of real sorrow for one's sins and real character in overcoming them to earn my trust as a leader. I can withhold condemnation on a personal level, as Jesus taught, but that doesn't mean I have to accept a person without character as a leader.

Gibson seems to be sincerely struggling with alcohol and trying to atone for his past sins, however, so I refuse to judge him other than by his acting and movies. If he were running for office, however, and asking for my support he wouldn't get it. But as a private individual or even just as a celebrity, he's got bigger problems than whether I approve or disapprove of him.

If George Bush were still getting drunk or whatever else he used to do wrong, I'd be unable to trust his word or respect his judgment and I wouldn't support him, even if I do agree with his policies. I'm ashamed to have voted for Richard Nixon, but I didn't know as much about him in 1972, as I did later. Once he ceased to be a political officeholder, I could pardon him, but for the reasons that President Ford did, not because I thought he was innocent of obstruction of justice.

Of the current candidates for president, I don't trust McCain's judgment, even if his character is sterling and his service makes him a hero. I do trust Mitt Romney because he has demonstrated great ability and good character. I don't respect Rudi Giuliani, although I agree that he handled matters after 9/11 with skill and provided leadership. I suppose I'd vote for him against Hillary, but not too enthusiastically. I don't know enough about George Allen at this point, but he seems like a lightweight, and Frist doesn't really impress me as a decisive leader.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home