Monday, September 11, 2006

Verdict on The Path to 9/11

The film is more powerful than anything I can say about it. I felt as if I were watching a Greek tragedy, except that there was no catharsis. The hubris wasn't the main character's, but everybody he tried to get to act. Oedipus at least did something to deserve his end, even unwittingly. But I could see nothing that O'Neill did to bring his failure and death upon himself. All that's left is sorrow and indignation.

Tonight there were a lot of Americans who felt the same things plus frustration that we still seem to be hamstrung by the very people we hire to protect us.

The technique of the film was fascinating. It reminded me of The Bourne Identity in its extreme closeups and handheld camera shots. It had a real feeling of urgency, suspense and vulnerability engendered from the camera angles that made you feel that you were watching from behind cover, or being jostled. It had a message, and I don't think any edits changed it. Of course, the people who needed to hear it most, had their hands over their ears and were yelling so as to drown it out.
I only hope there are more who got it than who refused to hear it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home