Thursday, March 04, 2004

Idea for a column: Kerryisms

Yesterday it was, "The Bush Adminsitration has run the most inept, reckless, arrogant, and ideological foreign policy in the modern history of our country."

Today I found this, by Mark Steyn:
Last spring and summer, I went to three Kerry campaign events in New Hampshire, intending to write about them for the Telegraph. Each time, I staggered groggily out of the diner or American Legion hall and, after checking my pulse and administering self-resuscitation, I figured that everything he said was so rambling and platitudinous that to inflict it on readers would be unfair, if not actually career-jeopardising.

But I wrote the stuff down. He used the word "courage" a lot. He said that he had "the courage to take the tough decisions", and America needed "the courage to stand up". His campaign was billing itself back then as the "American Courage Tour". I think it was after his "Fresh Air Forum" (sadly misnamed) that I looked at my notes and found the following: "Sometimes real leadership means having the courage not to have any courage."
Steyn goes on to question his own notes, so this might not be accurate, but it certainly sounds like Kerry.

Go read the Steyn piece. He includes this "Times-ism" describing Kerry:
"What his critics see as an inability to take strong, clear positions seems to us to reflect his appreciation that life is not simple. He understands the nuances."
along with Bush's statement, "I don't do nuance." And that's what I like about him, because what passes for nuance with Kerry and his fellow liberals usually amounts to waffling and doing nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home