Thursday, May 06, 2004

Andrew Sullivan . . .

is offended that Jonah Goldberg is not taking gay rights issues seriously:
Conservative opinion on gays ranges from boredom to outright hostility and animus. There are times when I prefer the animus.
Sorry, Andrew, I don't feel any animus except when people get in my face and call be a bigot about it. It sounds like Virginia has passed a stupid law, but I don't think that refusing to recognize gay marriages is what's wrong with it.

Mostly what I feel is sadness that so many people have been convinced that their emotional impairment is a constitutional right. And I say that as someone with an emotional impairment of my own. To me, it's as though depressed people started demanding that treatment for their condition be outlawed, that they were just born that way and deserve to be recognized legally . . . (Needle across the record)

What am I saying? That's basically what the ADA is all about. I wonder if Andrew would agree that identifying oneself as homosexual is a disability under the ADA, requiring legal recognition of same-sex marriage? Of course, nobody has come up with drugs that reorient homosexuals to heteros, but I'm pretty sure it would be greeted with indignance and outrage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home