Saturday, October 16, 2004

I didn't used to hate Democrats.

I guess, I still don't, because I know some Dems I respect, but people like Kerry and those who perpetuate this hate-Bush rhetoric are really getting to me. Their sneering nastiness toward the President and their pretension of superior intellect to everyone who supports him is getting pretty disgusting. Kerry is an oxymoron, a snooty blue-blood demagogue, but as Ted Kennedy's protege, that shouldn't be surprising. I don't know how this can ever heal. If Bush wins it can only make the left "moore" angry and insulting. If Kerry wins, the triumphalism will be intolerable. At that point, a lot more people will give up on civility, politics and even democracy, and it can only go downhill from there.

Update: My point is supported by Kerry's remark about Cheney's gay daughter. Then Edwards' wife made the snippy little comment that Lynne Cheney's anger was probably because she was ashamed. This is the mirror image of the Church Lady.

I wrote the following to Instapundit regarding his and Kerry's condescending attitude toward people who have traditional values:
Kerry's remark was not just a bad idea. It revealed the arrogance and mean spirit of the left, not a love of peace or compassion, but a condemnatory attitude that the media attributes only to the religious. Was it Tom Maquire who asked how it would have been received if Bush had offered counsel to Kerry's children on dealing with their parents divorce?

I am as offended by the phony compassion of people like Pat Robertson as anybody else, but Kerry's implication that you can't really be compassionate unless you abandon your moral values about matters like homosexuality is really dangerous, both to society and homosexuals themselves. I don't believe that we really know enough about the origins of abnormal sexual attraction and fantasies, and we never will as long as anybody who suggests research into treatment is treated like a leper in academia. I suspect that there's a lot more pain and confusion among gays than they are allowed to acknowledge by their own "advocates." The decision to "help" by telling them what they want to hear is not the basis of a sound society. It's like trying to treat depression by telling the sufferer that he's normal, or that his pain is just a different orientation. The very term gay is a wink and a nudge.

My one of my sister's sons just died from a lymphoma. He had been alienated from his family by his own concluson that he was gay, when all he really was, was unsure of himself. I don't know whether he had AIDS or not, but I do know that his belief that, to quote Steely Dan, "any world that I'm welcome to is better than the one I come from" caused him and his family far more pain that was necessary. In the end, he failed to tell his family about the physical pain he was in until it was too late to get treatment. His mother had reached out to him, but he knew what her values were. You can blame her for being homophobic, but you can also blame him and his gay subculture for rejecting her love and nurture. Call it an alternative orientation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home