Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Bush has a mandate. Religious Conservatives don't.

That's basically been the message of the past couple of days of Hugh Hewitt's radio show. I must say the number of religious right callers who want to wield political power to punish moderate to liberal Republicans was alarming. I've never thought that the way to win was to alienate your allies. That's what the French, Germans and Canadians did. This election was not the second coming. I don't think that will be mistakable, and I especially don't want to be one of those of whom Jesus said:
But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.. . .

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
I trust God to judge rightly, and that should be the reason why I'm slow to get high and mighty when I achieve a minor victory. I think George Bush understands that. Faith is not politics. It helps, but you still have to work in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home