Thursday, November 18, 2004

Sorry, Hugh

I'm with James Lileks on this one. No one has shown me any evidence that the Salvation Army has been damaged because it won't be allowed to have it's Santa Clauses outside of Target Stores. I'm not exactly a Target partisan, since there isn't a Target within 100 miles of where I live. I just think that crusades like this one are pointless and bullying. I thought conservatives believed in property rights.

Most Targets I've seen are parts of shopping centers with large parking lots. I expect that there will be other places to set up the Salvation Army bellringers and kettles without being right at the entry to Target. I suspect that this will manifest itself more by the amount of email it generates to Target than in significant lost sales.

Update: I've read a little more about this now, and I was wrong about this not hurting the Salvation Army. It says it will lose $9,000,000 this season. Nevertheless, I'm still with James. The problem is one that afflicts everybody. The SA was very successful because it is a worthy charity, but that success has attracted all kinds of "charities" into the marketplace. We are now all in charity overload. Target has apparently decided that allowing some groups to solicit on their premises has created a big nuisance for it in the form of a zillion requests to make another exception to its no-solicitations policy.

Another realization I've had is that this kind of PR offensive against an otherwise good place to shop is the same technique used by thugs like Jesse Jackson to shake down big business. I don't feel comfortable with it because it lends itself to abuse. Target is a business, not a fundraiser. It's obligation to its shareholders is to make money.

Lastly, there's this: If it isn't voluntary, it's not charity. Rather than denounce Target, it is better to light a candle. Follow this link to donate to the Salvation Army.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home