Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Suggestion for Talk Shows

One of the things I appreciate about Hugh Hewitt's radio program is that he reads his emails during the program and sometimes reads comments on the air. Having called into such programs in the past, I'm never going to do it again. I hate the sound of my voice on these shows, and the imprecise way my thoughts spill out. But email is so easy, and quick, I can comment quickly and send them much faster than waiting on the phone waiting to be answered. I think it would also be easier for a call screener or host to flip through emails for interesting comments than to ask each caller what he's calling about, and sometimes being deceived by someone who turns out to be a troll. It's exhilarating to get a short response from the host or producer when they have time and inclination. Hugh has read a number of my comments on the air.

I wish Michael Medved would do something similar. As programs become more and more popular, it might be impossible for the host to review all the email personally, but it could be screened by an employee such as a webmaster, who can screen out the spam and trolls much more effectively than a call screener can and knows what the host would find interesting, just as newspapers have letters editors who choose what missives get published.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home