Sunday, November 27, 2011

I haven't posted what I'm thankful for this weekend, mostly because they're pretty much the same as everybody else, faith, life, family and friends, but I was just thinking of how I reread The Lord of the Rings earlier this year and having just finished Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince and started Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. What makes them both great and popular is the same thing that caught all our imaginations in the stories of Luke Skywalker. Call it the power of myth, if you will, but to me it's the eternal verity that good and evil exist and that even the small and weak who stand by truth and right, however they may slip and go astray from time to time, can make a difference. Every one of my pioneer ancestors who crossed the plains and settled the Utah desert made a difference, both by helping lay the foundation of the society in which I grew up, but in bearing witness through their efforts and sacrifices that their faith was the greatest treasure they had on earth. The knowledge of what is right, even though the world tells us different, is a precious gift. I have received that knowledge, though my weaknesses are many, I know that God lives, that Jesus is the savior of mankind and that they communicate even now with man through the Holy Ghost, the third member of the Godhead. That knowledge is worth my life, and I thank God for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home