Wednesday, February 12, 2003

I read the Newsweek article from a few weeks back about affirmative action. It had a sidebar by the president of the University of Michigan claiming that diversity is the holy grail of education. I got the feeling that the real reason for lowering standards for certain racial groups is that one needs to go to school with "minorities" because that's part of a liberal education. So the black students are there for the white children of alumni to go to school with? How is that different from having lawn jockeys?

I'm all in favor of outreach to talent from unprivileged backgrounds, but the way this is framed makes me feel like the people who want it don't really care about black or hispanic students themselves, only in having them at their schools for the sake of "diversity." I guess they don't want their preppies to freak out the first time they meet a person with brown skin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home